top of page
Students in Library

Study Permit

A foreign national may be permitted to study at a Canadian university, college, secondary school, or primary school or take any course of academic, professional, or vocational training. If your course is less than 6 months long, you’ll only need a visitor visa to come to Canada. However, if you plan to study for more than 6 months, you’ll need to apply for a student visa and must provide the following:

  • A letter of acceptance from the educational institution of intended study;

  •  proof of ability to pay the tuition for the intended course or program;

  • proof of financial support during period of study;

  • proof of ability to cover transportation costs to and from Canada;

  •  a CIC medical examination, if required; and

  • a Certificat d'acceptation du Quebec (Quebec Certificate of Acceptance, or CAQ) if studying in Quebec.

You must also convince the immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.

Have questions or need professional assistance? 

bottom of page